Sunday, 24 April 2016

Nepal Trip (6-17 April 2016) - Poon Hill to Hile

Poon Hill to Hile (12 April 2016, Tues)

It is 10 to 1 pm and we are waiting for lunch. Momo for me and spaghetti for Bernard.  Ram the porter and Arjun the guide are waiting for their lunch as well outside the restaurant.  Food preparation takes forever here as everywhere else.  If only the sky is clear then we would have a nice view of the terraces across the valley on the other side of the ravine.

We just came from Ghorepani where this morning we got up at 4 am to make the 1 hour trek up the Poon Hill (actualy Pun Hill, named after the person who has developed the area) to have a panoramic view of Annapurna 1, Annapurna South, Fishtail and Dhaulagiri among other mountains which are over 7,000 meters and above.   This was supposed to be the highlight of the 5-day Annapurna Panorama Trek but there we arrived at Poon Hill with some views, though poorly, of the majestic mountains.  Still beautiful but they seem so far away!

We are now on our way to Hile which is about 1,400 meters above sea level.   Thousands and thousands of stairs, never ending, it is very tough on my knees which are now shaking but I feel relieve when I look at the faces of those who are going up,  thank God we took the other way around!

We soon found our teahouse called Sushma which is in a small village in the middle of the terraces.   Almost nothing is planted in the terraces and I wonder when is the planting and harvesting season in this place as they say June is rainy season so there should still be plants here!

As it is our last night together, Arjun and Ram joined us for dinner.  We all had  non-vege Dhal Bat which has portions of potato curry, green vege that look and taste like mustard leaves, pickels, papad (crispy like in India), some chicken curry and rice.

This night, I started to read a book in my Kindle titled Finch which has won awards.   Previous to these I have also finished Up the Organization, Idea Generation which were in my Kindle as well.   I got so engrossed in the book that I ended up sleeping very late.  It started off with a story of a boy whose mom has died in a museum bomb attack.


1 comment:

  1. Nice account boop, boop! You should complete it with our last days in Kathmandu and Bakhtapur.

    ReplyDelete